References - Effect of hearer on commun devel

Ann Bodine abodine at stanford.edu
Sun Aug 26 21:42:56 UTC 2001

Could anyone please steer me to references dealing with the effect of the
hearer (parents, other family members, care workers, spouse) on
motivation/success in developing or redeveloping communicative ability in:
children learning their parents' language,
immigrant children learning a language their parents don't know well,
deaf children of hearing parents,
people who suffer strokes or other brain injuries, etc.

I'm interested in studies which explicitly contrast hearers who do and do not
understand and engage with those who communicate immaturely or imperfectly, as
well as anecdotal references to this issue in the lit.  Thanks for any help.
--Ann Bodine

Ann Bodine, Ph.D.
Institute for Research on Women and Gender
Serra House
556 Salvatierra Walk
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305