book recommendations?

samuels at anthro.umass.edu samuels at anthro.umass.edu
Thu Dec 6 17:49:58 UTC 2001

Dear all,

Once again, I beseech the list for what works. I'm teaching a
fieldwork-based class for undergraduate anthro majors in the spring. I'd
like to use two books: one a more conceptual text about language/symbolic
action/semiotics/etc. and culture; the other a more on-the-ground, how-to
book. For the first I'm thinking of something more than an introductory
textbook, but perhaps less intricate than Hanks or Duranti; and I guess I'm
thinking "not a reader." As for the second, there's like a zillion books on
fieldwork methods, and on discourse analysis, and I'm hoping people here
might help me a bit with the triage.

Also, I wondered if people think this forum might be a good place to have a
discussion about what works and what doesn't in these kinds of classes...?

Many thanks for all responses. I'll be happy to post a compendium if people
would like that.

Best,

David

* *  *   *     *        *             *                     *
David W. Samuels
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology
212 Machmer Hall