First refs to "Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis"

Richard J Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Tue Dec 11 18:19:34 UTC 2001

OK, Linganth folks:

At the risk of raising heat, I'm trying to locate the first **explicit**
references to the so-called "Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis" as such, and to
specific passages by either Sapir or Whorf that have been pointed to as
their own formulation and presentation of any such hypothesis, either
formally or informally. I've seen so many conflicting accounts that I
wanted to get a sense as to whether there is any consensus on this issue
among linguistic anthropologists.

I know a lot of us refer to this conception as the "linguitic relativity
hypothesis" to sidestep this epistemological rathole, but at the moment I'm
interested in the historical process of the emergence of this concept as a
case in point on how theoretical ideas get labelled and argued, both within
and without the academy.

Thanks,

-Richard