First refs to "Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at midway.uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 11 21:05:54 UTC 2001

Here are the earliest citations given in the online OED:

1954 H. HOIJER Language in Culture I. 93 The central idea of the
Sapir-Whorf hypothesis is that language functions, not simply as a device
for reporting experience, but also..as a way of defining experience for its
speakers.
1954 ______ in Mem. Amer. Anthropol. Assoc. LXXIX. 95 Differences..which
reflect a people's habitual and favorite modes of reporting, analyzing, and
categorizing experience, form the essential data of the Sapir-Whorf
hypothesis.
1956 J. B. CARROLL in B. L. Whorf Lang., Thought, & Reality 27 Whorf's
principle of linguistic relativity, or, more strictly, the Sapir-Whorf
hypothesis (since Sapir most certainly shared in the development of the
idea) has..attracted a great deal of attention.

--Ben