asian americans & language

Angela Reyes reyesa at dolphin.upenn.edu
Wed Dec 12 01:47:59 UTC 2001

Hi linganth list members,

I'm developing an undergraduate course tentatively titled "Asian
Americans & Language" and I would appreciate any help. I plan to
cover a broad set of issues such as language contact (Hawai'i
Creole), immigration & English language learning,
bilingual/dual-language education, heritage language programs,
language brokering and codeswitching/mixing. I would like to
emphasize linguistic anthropology/discourse analysis studies. Below
is the beginning of a working list of scholars I plan to use.

Kathryn Au
Elaine Chun
Kenji Hakuta
Agnes He
Hye-young Jo
Peter Kiang
Adrienne Lo
Ellen Skilton-Sylvester
Lucy Tse

Any help/advice/references would be most appreciated. Also, if you
know of a similar course taught at another university, please let me
know.

All best,
Angie

--