FW: Non-member submission from [Jeff Deby <jdeby at sfu.ca>]

Richard J. Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Fri Dec 14 05:48:56 UTC 2001

[Another bounce. -RJS]

Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 16:20:23 -0800
Subject: Asian-Americans & lg
From: Jeff Deby <jdeby at sfu.ca>
To: <linganth at galileo.cc.rochester.edu>

Hello linganthers,

Sorry to post this reply to the whole list; I deleted the original message
in error, so couldn't reply directly to the original poster.

Here in Vancouver, Canada, the Asian population is about 40% by some
estimates (and much higher in some of my classes), and very little attention
is paid to this group at a local level, compared to, say, African-American
content in the curriculum at many US universities.  I'd be interested if you
would update me on your course development as it progresses, as I suspect a
similar course would be extremely popular here.

A reference which you might find useful which I don't recall being on your
list (an out-of-field source but an interesting article nonetheless):

Luo, Shiow and Wiseman, Richard. 2000.  Ethnic language maintenance among
Chinese immigrant children in the United States.  International Journal of
Intercultural Relations 24, 307-324.

best,

Jeff
--