Social theory introduction

Scott F. Kiesling kiesling+ at pitt.edu
Fri Dec 14 16:17:28 UTC 2001

Hi all-

Does anyone have a suggestion for an introductory reading on social theory
for a sociolinguistics course (graduate and undergraduate suggestions are
welcome)? Ideally, I'd like it to be both historical and contemporary, so
students know how social theories have ended up as they have, and also know
what they are currently like. I would also like it to be reasonably
accessible. The course has topics on interaction (discourse), variation, and
language policy, planning, and revitalization. I will summarize if everyone
wants to send replies directly to me.

Thanks in advance-

SK

--