Sapir-Whorf

Mark Allen Peterson peterson at aucegypt.edu
Sun Dec 16 14:37:44 UTC 2001

Dear Richard,

I have to weigh in with Bonnie and the others who cite Harry Hoijer.  Some years ago I did a grad paper for Victor Golla entitled "Whatever Happened to the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis?"  In those pre-computer days (remeber those?) I and a series of harassed Library of Congress reference librarians came to the conclusion that Hoijer coined the term and used it as the basis of an all-star linguistics panel, subsequently published as AAA memoir #79.

I can't find the paper (I suspect it's in storage in the US) but as I recall Hoijer seemed to base the whole "Sapir-Whorf hypothesis" on three quotations from Sapir and Whorf.  Neither Sapir nor Whorf ever stated it in hypothesis form and their own wording is tentative and subject to many interpretations.  I am particularly interested in Whorf's emphasis on links between language categories and habitual (as opposed to conscious strategic) action.  It not only makes clear that Whorf wasn't suggesting a "strong" hypothesis but reminds me both of Bourdieu's habitus and Peirce's writings on habit.

Best,

Mark