book query results

samuels at anthro.umass.edu samuels at anthro.umass.edu
Mon Dec 17 16:39:16 UTC 2001

Following are the books that people recommended for an undergraduate course
emphasizing linganth fieldwork and analysis.

First is a list of ethnographies that people mentioned as
undergraduate-readable, plus foregrounding research questions, designs,
methodologies, and interpretive strategies in powerful ways:

Laura Ahearn - Invitations to Love
Keith Basso - Wisdom Sits in Places
Alessandro Duranti - From Grammar to Politics
Penelope Eckert - Linguistic Variation as Social Practice
Marjorie Goodwin - He-Said-She-Said
Joan Pujolar - Gender, Heteroglossia, and Power
Nancy Ries - Russian Talk
Keith Sawyer - Creating Conversations
Roger Shuy - The Language of Confession, Interrogation, and Deception

Next is a list of books dealing specifically with introducing students to
concepts and methodologies of discourse analysis.

Deborah Cameron - Working With Spoken Discourse
Chouliaraki & Fairclough - Discourse in Late Modernity
Malcolm Coulthard - An Introduction to Discourse Analysis
James Paul Gee - An Introduction to Discourse Analsysis
Catherine Riessman - Narrative Analysis
Deborah Schiffrin - Approaches to Discourse

There was also a list of handbooks and how-to guides for doing ethnographic
fieldwork, although nothing specifically language- or discourse-centered
(with the exception of an essay or two). Here I'll throw in my two cents
and say that the Bernard volume looks really great (with an essay by Laura
Graham and Brenda Farnell on discourse-centered approaches), but is 800+
pages ($45 in paper). Hard to see making my students lug something like
that around.

H. Russell Bernard, ed. - Handbook of Methods in Cultural Anthropology
Charles Briggs - Learning How to Ask
Robert M. Emerson et al - Writing Ethnographic Fieldnotes
John Van Maanen - Tales of the Field
de Munck & Sobo - Using Methods in the Field
Harry F. Woolcott - The Art of Fieldwork

Finally, there was a group of books that didn't seem to fit into an easy
category. More conceptual, part ethnography part methodology part
philosophy, less clearly "about" fieldwork or analysis.

Michael Agar - Language Shock
Guy Cook - The Discourse of Advertising
Judy Delin - The Language of Everyday Life
Alessandro Duranti - Linguistic Anthropology: A Reader
Duranti & Goodwin, eds. - Rethinking Context
Gary Palmer - Toward a Theory of Cultural Linguistics
Scollon & Scollon - Intercultural Communication

I have more complete citations if people want. Just figured I'd save some
space. I've presented these without any commentary. I've used a few of
them, and if others have experience with any of these in the classroom,
perhaps we can get into a discussion about them.

Best wishes,

David

* *  *   *     *        *             *                     *
David W. Samuels
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology
212 Machmer Hall