Sapir-Whorf

burciuol burciuol at hamilton.edu
Mon Dec 17 19:54:24 UTC 2001

Thanks to Mark for weighing in on Hoijer coining the term based on a few
selected quotes.  He remembers correctly.  I have Hoijer's 1954 paper in
front of me, which starts out "The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis appears to have
had its initial formulation in the following two paragraphs, taken from an
article of Sapir's, first published in 1929."  The actual Sapir and Whorf
(and a little Boas) material cited by Hoijer consists of about 3 paragraphs
from Sapir, 4 paragraphs plus a couple of quotes from Whorf, a paragraph
from Boas, spread throughout the paper (one of the Sapir citations is from
"Conceptual Categories in Primitive Languages," the rest are simply listed
as Mandelbaum (SWES) pp. 162 and 10-11 if anyone wants to know; the Whorf
is simply listed as from Collected Papers on Metalinguistics, 1952, pp.4-5,
27, 44, 33, 36; with specific reference to "the Hopi studies."  The Boas is
of course from the Handbook.)  At no point in these cited bits do Sapir or
Whorf (or Boas for that matter) use the term "hypothesis."  So where did it
come from?  Hymes told me one time (I think I'm remembering this right--
Dell, if you're reading this, please correct me if I'm wrong) that Hoijer
was trying to bring Sapir (and Whorf along with him, but especially Sapir)
back into prominence in language and culture, and this was the way he did
it, through the conference and in print.  The idea of weaving these threads
into a "hypothesis" seems to have been a gesture of respect.  Perhaps
calling it a "hypothesis" was also about connecting with what must have
been the prestige discourse of that era,postwar and early 50's, as the
it's-all-about-science mentality was starting to grip US institutions,
academic and otherwise.  So as a discursive strategy, coining this term and
developing it as the theme of a conference must have made a lot of sense to
Hoijer and his colleagues.  And maybe there is something Sapir-Whorfian
about all that, eh?  Because look what the sedimentation of the term has
invoked in terms of "habitual thought" -- notions of lab-like
reproducibility, all that baggage that people have spent years trying to
"prove" or "disprove."
--Bonnie