social influence transcripts

Christian Nelson cnelson at comm.umass.edu
Wed Feb 21 15:06:33 UTC 2001

Hi All:
As some of you may recall, I mentioned on ETHNO a while back that I'm
working on a paper in which I am attempting to respecify Fishbein and
Ajzen's "theory of reasoned action" as a description of the topoi that
interactants orient to in trying to influence one another or reject such
influence attempts. I came to this idea while examining the transcript
in Wayne Beach's bulimia book at the same time I was teaching a course
on social influence and trying to find ways to bend the traditional
social psychological approach to that course toward an interactionist
perspective. While I studied Wayne's transcript, in which Sissy tries to
get Grandma to take a walk, and Grandma tries to get Sissy to own up to
her problem with Bulimia, I realized that each of the interactants
seemed to be orienting to different elements of the Theory of Reasoned
Action (and its logical extensions) in their very talk.  What I'd like
to do is supply my students with multiple examples of such behavior.
This would require transcripts of relatively well developed social
influence episodes  in which at least one interactant tries to get
another (or others) to take a certain course of *action* (not just
accept a certain belief). Unfortunately, I don't have these on hand, and
can't think of where I might find them. If any of you have such, or have
an idea where I might find such, I'd be much obliged for any help you
can offer.
Thanks,
Christian Nelson

--