SPAM & Linganth

Richard J. Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Mon Jan 22 16:03:36 UTC 2001

Linganth Folks,

Alas, and as you've no doubt noticed with annoyance, our list address is on
(several) spam mailing lists. This means doing something I have wanted to
avoid, closing postings to unsubscribed accounts. Having the list closed in
such a way often has the side-effect of preventing subscribed members from
easily posting, especially if they are on a campus net that has aliasing of
accounts so that users can send and receive from anywhere on their net using
your same e-mail address.

It's either that, or me moderating the list by acting as a human gateway,
looking at each posting before forwarding it to the list. It means that when
I am busy, the list would slow down. And that when I am travelling, that the
list goes dormant. And some folks might worry about censoring. Would that be
an acceptable?

Please respond to me directly (Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu), not to the list,
unless you want to specifically address the whole membership.

-Richard