mini disc recorder

Sonja L. Lanehart lanehart at arches.uga.edu
Sun Jul 1 20:21:43 UTC 2001

I know this has been discussed before and that I saved some messages,
but they're at school I think and I'm leaving tomorrow to collect new
data. I don't know if there are archives somewhere for this list (I'm
not typically a procrastinator but I planned to use a recorder from
our Linguistics Program and discovered that's it checked out for the
summer).

I'm going to do two sets of interviews. one set that will likely
require spectrographic analyses. I want digital recordings so they
can be put on the computer. I would imagine my choices to be a mini
disc or a dat or possibly an analog recorder like a marantz that can
be converted to digital. My primary interest is in the content of the
interviews and the later transcription for the other set of
interviews.

I don't know much about a mini disc recorder or a dat. I need
something that will have a good microphone, preferrably an internal
mic or with a fairly non-intrusive external mic. I read good things
on this list for the mini disc as well as some drawbacks (neither of
which I remember much right now). In any event, I'd like to know if
someone can tell me about a good mini disc or dat recorder they've
used for the situation I need to use it in.

The mini disc supply here in Athens is limited to two Sony
models--one analog and one digital. But, according to the saleperson,
I'd need to buy a mic--and they don't have one. So, in addition to
good models I also need to know if a separate mic purchase is needed
as well.

At this point, any useful info would be much appreciated.  --Sonja

Sonja L. Lanehart
Department of English                 706-542-2260 (office)
University of Georgia                 706-542-1261 (messages)
300 Park Hall                         706-542-2181 (fax)
Athens, GA 30602-6205                 lanehart at arches.uga.edu