query re: insults

P L Patrick patrickp at essex.ac.uk
Mon Jul 23 16:08:59 UTC 2001

A PhD student of mine is working on the topic of compliments, and we
are interested in the way insults are used in complementary fashion for
some of the same social functions (eg solidarity).
	The insults literature I know is more ethnographic and
culture-specific, not in the sociolx-survey mode of the compliments
lit. Besides, I don't know a lot of it! Can anyone help with citations?
	My list of refs. to The Dozens is available online courtesy of
Hal Schiffman at:
	http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~haroldfs/bibliogs/dozens.html
I don't need items on AAVE (unless they are not in this list, in which
case I'll be glad for them!).
	Thanks,
	--peter

Prof. Peter L. Patrick