AAA panels

Steve J. Albert sja5065 at nyu.edu
Thu Mar 8 15:43:20 UTC 2001

Friends:

I am somewhat belatedly looking for a "home" for this year's AAA. My
research involves speech practices among middle-class French adolescents in
a suburban Paris high school. If anyone knows of panels on any of the
following topics that still have space for papers, or if anyone would be
interested in joining me in organizing a panel on short notice, please
contact me ASAP:

1) metapragmatics of reported speech--in particular the use of discourse
markers and prosody in direct reported speech

2) joking/teasing relationships among adolescents and their role in local
conceptions of politeness, face, deference, etc.

3) indefinite or "generic" pronoun use--specifically, the variable use of
French "tu" and "on" in the construction of "conventional wisdom" and local
moral economies

Many thanks,

Steve J. Albert
Department of Anthropology