The End of Linguistics

Robert Inglis robertinglis at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 25 19:06:57 UTC 2001

Dear List-members:

Not to quibble, but what are Halpern's qualifications, anyways, for making
such a ruckus? He's just a cocky little rooster trying to scare up some
attention in the hen-house.

Linguistics and other 'soft' sciences are only limited by the technology of
the experimental techniques used to confirm their theories.  Because we
cannot YET explore the human brain in a revealing-enough intimacy, we cannot
advance into the realm of a proper science, such as physics.

But such an innovation is simply a matter of time; given that the human
genome has recently been mapped, and that technology is coming more and more
to externalize human thought, it will be quite probably a matter of a few
years before linguistics really takes off.  To dismiss, at this juncture,
the whole discipline is laughably myopic of Mr. Halpern. To me, it is just
as ridiculous as if, just before the Renaissance, an  academic in the 'dark
ages' solemnly predicted the "End of Science".

~ Robert Inglis ~