The End of Linguistics

Kerim Friedman kerim.list at oxus.net
Mon Mar 26 14:38:25 UTC 2001

>	Kerim's comments suggested a valid viewpoint might be an
>inductive one:

I was not making an argument for an intirely inductive linguistics. As several of my examples show, I like models - and sometimes the elegence of a model might even outweigh its lack of relationship to some particular facts, if it is emperically useful for understanding other facts. It is a question of a theory "of what" not what how theory is produced. Not all models are equally suited to all phenomenon, that does not mean that they are "wrong". I am sorry if this was not clear.

kerim

P. KERIM FRIEDMAN
			Anthropology, Temple University
			<mailto:kerim.friedman at oxus.net>