[Li-AmInd] Re: Kusunda Language: Is Not An Extinct Lang

dan everett dan_everett at sil.org
Mon Mar 26 19:10:07 UTC 2001

     The problem with the scenario below is that you have very little means
     of confirming or disconfirming hypotheses as to many systematic
     aspects of the grammar. Language revival is of course possible, as
     seen not only in the examples given, but in several North American
     Indian languages as well.

     But when a language has passed from daily use to infrequent use among
     3 people who have a hard time remembering things, you cannot know
     whether you are describing their language or not.

     That is not to say that study of it is completely valueless, not at
     all. Donna Popky, from the University of Pittsburgh, did a solid MA
     thesis on Oro Win, a language with only 3-5 speakers, spoken only
     occasionally, based upon data I collected in the mid-90s. There was a
     comprehensive grammar of Wari (a closely related language of the
     Chapakuran family) (published by Routledge) which served as a basis of
     comparison and this turned out to be an interesting study. Some
     aspects were unclear as to whether they were authentic Oro Win, but
     many other components were usefully comparable with Wari and the
     overall study (available from Pitt linguistics department) is quite
     interesting, if a bit thin (for reasons beyond the control of the
     author).

     Dan Everett
     Research Professor of Phonetics and Phonology
     University of Manchester

     P.S. Why would anyone use a gratuitous remark like 'SIL crusaders'?
     What's the call for that kind of sarcasm, which doesn't fit anyone in
     SIL I know, and I have been a member for 25 years.