[ANTHRO-L] The End of Linguistics

Ronald Kephart rkephart at unf.edu
Sat Mar 31 23:47:40 UTC 2001

John McCreery writes:

>...Why, when our friend and mentor Mike Salovesh went to Chicago,
>for example, was training in linguistics considered an essential
>part of the anthropologist's tool kit, while now, in many
>departments--or so I am told--it is possible to do a Ph.D. in
>anthropology with no linguistics at all?

Just a quick comment on this: Our new BA in Anthropology here at
North Florida has LIN 3010, "Principles of Linguistics," as one of
the required core courses in the program. We will also have a
senior-level course of the "language and culture" sort, which I have
to design. So, linguistics is still out there...

Ronald Kephart
English & Foreign Languages
University of North Florida