function words

Laada Bilaniuk bilaniuk at u.washington.edu
Wed May 9 21:36:17 UTC 2001

***For the collector of stressed function words.

Sorry, I'm sending to the whole list, but I deleted the post requesting
examples of prosodically stressed function words--and then I came across
some.  Hopefully this will reach the original requestor:

Mon. evening, TV show on NBC called "Weakest Link".

The show host said:
"You ARE the weakest link" to dismiss a losing contestant.

Then the host said that after a commercial break they would return for

"the final round TO the weakest link."

I only watched a few minutes of this show, so I don't know if this is a
regular feature of the host's speech or not.

Cheers,
Laada

--
Laada Bilaniuk