Lexical creation by signing apes

David Samuels davidsam at sas.upenn.edu
Mon May 14 16:37:18 UTC 2001

Celso,

Is that "A Conversation With Koko"? I get these PBS ape videos confused,
but I think there is clearly speech and signing going on between the
researchers and the gorillas, so a recognition of a sonic homophony, or
indeed even a confusion, is entirely possible.

If it's the video I'm thinking of, the section on Michael's memory is
really interesting; and the part where they interview the art gallery owner
who represents the gorilla's paintings is like ten of the wackiest moments
of public television ever.

Best,

David

David Samuels