Getting rid of accents

T. Porcello THPORCELLO at vassar.edu
Tue May 15 11:50:55 UTC 2001

And check out this morning's (5/15) *Morning Edition* feature on American
companies' outsourcing of customer service to India, where speakers are
being trained to speak with an "Anerican accent" to disguise the fact that
the customer service site is not in the United States.

Tom Porcello

At 6:57 AM +0300 5/15/01, Mark Allen Peterson wrote:
>    Dear All   Some time ago we had a discussion on places that  try to
>teach you how to get rid of your foreign accents.   I thought I'd share
>the following site, recommended  by an Indian news service to its clients
>who want to talk like Americans  ("without" an accent!?)  The site
>advertises itself:   "For children,  illiterates, workers, students all
>ages
>and to get rid of, not have a foreign  accent"   The whole site is filled
>with assumptions  interesting to those of us who study language ideology
>and the promotion of  American monoglot standard.
>http://www.americanspokenenglish.com/   Best,    Mark Allen Peterson
>American University in  Cairo

Dr. Thomas Porcello
Department of Anthropology