EndNote

Kerim Friedman kerim.list at oxus.net
Wed May 23 17:15:24 UTC 2001

I got a more interesting response from the folks at EndNote about a  complaint I had written them about their lack of international language support (especially Chinese). It seems that they do take into account the number of people who request non-Latin script support. I highly urge that you all write customer support <pc-endnote at isiresearchsoft.com> or Donna Kirking <donna.kirking at isiresearchsoft.com> and ask that they take this feature seriously enough to warrent a complete re-write of the program as they say would be necessary. Since isiresearchsoft also owns the other two major competitors (refman and procite) it is important that they understand the needs of scholars who work with non-Latin script reference sources (even if most of their buisness comes from those in the "hard" sciences).

Thanks for your help.

kerim

>Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 09:56:34 -0700
>To: Kerim Friedman <kerim.friedman at oxus.net>
>From: Donna Kirking <donna.kirking at isiresearchsoft.com>
>Subject: Re: Help!!! (Chinese display on Windows PC)
>
>Kerim,
>
>I'm sorry, but EndNote for the Macintosh is not truly compatible with non-Latin fonts either, it is just a bit less incompatible and some users do manage to use it with limited success that way.  However, when they run into problems with it we give them the same answer I gave you, that it is not truly compatible and we do not support it.
>
>Personally, I also wish we were working on a version that supported non-Latin fonts, and I have told our developers this.  Unfortunately, making EndNote compatible with such languages would requiring completely rewriting the program.  It would not be simply on upgrade or update, it would be a complete rewrite.  This is why we have not been able to do it to this point.  We do add a vote for every user that asks for this, though, so that we can tell management exactly how requested this feature is, and you vote has been added to that list.
>
>Please let me know if you need any further assistance.
>
>Donna Kirking
>
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>ISI ResearchSoft                   Phone:     + 01 (510) 559-8592
>800 Jones St.                      FAX:       + 01 (510) 559-8683
>Berkeley, CA, 94710 USA            Internet:  pc-endnote at isiresearchsoft.com
>                                              www.isiresearchsoft.com
>
>"From online searching to one-step bibliographies:
>Software to simplify your research."

P. KERIM FRIEDMAN
			Anthropology, Temple University
			<mailto:kerim.friedman at oxus.net>