transcribing digitized recordings

Steven Bird sb at unagi.cis.upenn.edu
Thu May 31 11:25:45 UTC 2001

> However, from a glance at the web pages, it
> appears that none of Transcriber, UCSB's VoiceWalker, or UPenn's Annotation
> Graph Tool Kit (AGTK), are usable on Macintosh.  Am I mistaken?

I believe that Transcriber works on Macintosh.  See:
http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/mirror/Transcriber/devel/

> ... is anyone aware of other programmes which *are* usable on a Mac
> platform?

There are a number of tools supporting transcription and annotation,
such as CHILDES' CLAN tool, MPI's mediatagger and Praat.

Please see the Linguistic Annotation page:
http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/annotation/

Macintosh tools are marked with an M in the left column.

> Jeff Deby
> PhD Candidate, Sociolinguistics

On the topic of sociolinguistics, the Linguistic Data Consortium
has a project on sociolinguistic annotation and has developed
an annotation tool (http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/Projects/DASL/).

-Steven

--
Steven.Bird at ldc.upenn.edu  http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/sb
Assoc Director, LDC; Adj Assoc Prof, CIS & Linguistics