speech community (origin of the concept)

Vincent de Rooij vderooij at pscw.uva.nl
Thu Nov 15 23:38:20 UTC 2001

Thanks to all who replied to my posting to the list.

I find The 'German connection' (Herder, Humboldt) mentioned by Timothy,
Alexandre, and Peter especially interesting. Perhaps this was Bloomfield's
main source of inspiration? Saussure almost certainly wasn't: his influence
on American linguistics during the first half of the 20th c. was negligible
(at least that's what Hymes & Fought say in American Structuralism, The
Hague, 1975).

Peter, I will certainly read your article on this topic (BTW I couldn't
reach your website, will try again later).

vincent de rooij