Metaphors of Terror

Kerim Friedman kerim.list at oxus.net
Fri Oct 5 13:55:07 UTC 2001

As Lakoff's response to the Gulf War was mentioned earlier on this list, some members may be interested in reading this article by him on the current situation. - kerim

http://www.inthesetimes.com/web2524/lakoff2524.html

Metaphors of Terror
The Power of Images
By George Lakoff

As a metaphor analyst, I want to begin with the power of images. The images we  see and recall interact with our system of metaphors. The results can be powerful.

There are a number of metaphors for buildings. A common visual metaphor is Buildings Are Heads, where windows and doors are openings in the head like eyes, nose and mouth. For many people this metaphor interacted with the image of the plane going into the South Tower of the World Trade Center, producing via visual metaphor the unconscious but powerful image of a bullet going through someone's head, the flame pouring from the other side, blood spurting out.

Links to Alternative News Coverage of the Twin Towers Tragedy:

                 http://kerim.oxus.net/engurls.php?selectcat=30

P. KERIM FRIEDMAN
			Anthropology, Temple University
			<mailto:kerim.friedman at oxus.net>