A question

Richard J. Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Fri Oct 5 17:32:11 UTC 2001

[Again, just forwarding this; please don't reply to me. -RJS]
====================================

Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 01:21:31 -0400
From: andy j <jocunsa at georgetown.edu>
To: "Kenneth N. Ehrensal" <ehrensal at kutztown.edu>
CC: Bambi Schieffelin <bs4 at nyu.edu>, linganth at ats.rochester.edu
Subject: Re: A question

A fellow linguist friend from Korea had the following to say about it:

"Gook" in "Mee-gook" and other Korean words means 'country' . For example,
we call Korean "han gook" and China "Chung Gook"   The word "mee gook"
literally means "beautiful Country".  I never heard that Gook is  a racial
slur for Koreans.  do you ever use Gook to refer to Koreans or something
else? makes me curious.  I never heard anyone saying it.

Also gook means soup in Korean.

I hope this helps