presentation on recording technology

Paul B. Garrett pgarrett at astro.temple.edu
Mon Oct 15 16:20:58 UTC 2001

For anyone who may be interested, the NWAV presentation (by
Bartek
Plichta and Norma Mendoza-Denton) that Sonja referred to in her
recent
message is accessible online at http://bartus.org.  (Thanks to
Bartek for
letting me know this.)

Regarding Doug Whalen's recent comment re potential problems
presented by
the compression associated with MD recorders: I see that Bartek
and
Norma don't discuss MD at all in their presentation, presumably
because they
don't even consider it a viable option.  (I guess I'd better take
closer look at DAT recorders...)

Paul Garrett

"Sonja L. Lanehart" wrote:

> I just got back from NWAV and heard a couple of presentations
by a
> graduate student at Michigan State named Bartek Plichta
> <plichtab at msu.edu> who's research was linguistics but was also
techie
> enough that he knew a lot about these issues. In fact, his
Thursday
> presentation was on "Best practices in the digital acquisition
&
> processing of acoustic speech data." I would suggest you
contact him
> with your questions. He had a handout with some nice
comparisons and