term search

Ronald Kephart rkephart at unf.edu
Wed Oct 17 01:09:13 UTC 2001

Bryllars wrote:

>Ah! -- but when terms [hyponymy, etc.] get this arcane - and all
>they DO is classify Do we need them?  Who are we trying to mystify?

Are they really that arcane? The book I've been using in my intro
class, Edward Finegan's *Language: Its Structure and Use*, introduces
them as part of the discussion of meaning relationships, along with
synonymy, antonymy, etc.

By the way, in my original response, I meant to include that there's
a nice treatment of prescriptivist attempts to get people to use
"man" and "he" as generics in:

Spender, Dale. Language and reality: Who made the world?  *The
Routledge Language and Cultural Theory Reader. ed by Lucy Burke et
al. London: Routledge; 145-53.

Ronald Kephart
Associate Professor & Coordinator
Program in Foreign Languages