About that question on hyponyms

bryllars at concentric.net bryllars at concentric.net
Wed Oct 17 12:02:57 UTC 2001

  The problem with the proposal below is that most women I know can
no longer FEEL it (generalized "man") that way.
  It may be that over time these feelings will wither away and the "old"
texts will be
restored to their "normal" value - as Citizen dissappeared a good many years
after the French Revolution and Monsieur lost its stigma.
But -- right now if you want a generalized term other than "person" (which
feels awkward
to many and if adopted makes 400 years of English literature and
intellectual writing
feel awkwardly antique) you will have to invent an aesthetically pleasing
new one
and get that accepted.
    I believe "person" will continue to feel awkward and so generalized
'man' might come
back. Or some new term (hopefully a monosyllable)  will get itself accepted.

Bryllars at concentric.net