power and solidarity

Kathryn Woolard kwoolard at ucsd.edu
Fri Oct 26 16:02:42 UTC 2001

Celso - I agree with you. The rest of what I wrote on Oct. 25 said "It
could be that I was wrong and some of these authors _didn't_ share this
2-axis model that I  read in their work and took for my own. But even if I
misread some of them (and even if my own looser lexical choices in the
book's longer discussion allow the unanticipated alternate reading, as I
now see), the 2-axis idea was well-established by then and guided my
research in 1979-1980."

So, as I said then, no -I wasn't sure about all of them really fitting.
Exactly as you spotted, it was Brown & Levinson who gave me pause, for the
same reasons you give. I agree that their model is more easily represented
as uni-dimensional (and maybe that's why although it seems persuasive, my
students are never able to make it work right when they apply it to natural
conversation.) It might even be that we can use B & L as a model of the
linguistic ideology that the students apply to B & G., along the lines you
suggest.

But I think students have trouble getting B & G's model not because 2
dimensions are so difficult to grasp as because of the way they develop
their argument. It's an enjoyable as well as obviously important article,
but it doesn't track especially well. I see this more each time I revisit
or teach the 'textual artifact'  instead of my remembered construction of
it.

And for those who wanted the reference, Michael Silverstein gives his
critique of Brown & Gilman and of the inadequacy of power-solidarity models
in "Indexical Order and the Dialectics of Sociolinguistic Life." In SALSA
III:266-295. Austin TX, 1996.

Kit

Kathryn A. Woolard 	  	kwoolard at ucsd.edu
Department of Anthropology, 0532