Restricting the Linganth List

Richard J. Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Fri Sep 7 17:15:44 UTC 2001

Well, folks, I've given up and had to restrict the Linganth List. Trying to
keep it open has resulted in undesirable spam, especially yesterday's
posting. So, I am resetting the list's parameters to restrict postings to
those from subscriber's accounts only, and requests for subscribing to the
list will need my direct authorization.

What this means to those of us on this list: we still have the list, we can
all post what we want to on it without each message first passing through
me. It does mean, however, that organizations that used to post job
announcements or notifications of conferences & publications will have to
find a list member to forward their messages to the list.

It also means that some of you will probably encounter an occasional bounced
message because of technical quirks. The most common sort is when your
system puts your e-mail address in the "From" or "Reply-to"  field, and
because you might be logging on to your system from different machines or
servers, those fields may not match your subscribed address exactly. If you
post a message and it bounces, send it my way.

This may also affect those who forward their messages from one account to
another. You'll have to post messages from your subscribed account.

Sorry for any inconvenience, including the need to remove the entirely
automatic subscription process (requests will have to queue up for my direct
attention now).

If this doesn't work to keep out the spam, I'll move to another server.

-Richard