The Current Tragedies

Ken Ehrensal ehrensal at kutztown.edu
Thu Sep 13 13:04:33 UTC 2001

Richard,

As linguistic anthropologists we might make the greatest contribution by
carefully analyzing the discourses coming out of places like the White
House as we prepare to send out our young men and women to die in the "War
on Global Terrorism".  The metaphors and symbols about "faceless enemies",
etc. are fascinating.  We might also analyze what is not being said, like
the fact that no one seems to be discussing the (racist and imperialist)
assumptions of US foreign policy that makes us enemies.

Ken

AMERICA WORKS BEST WHEN WE SAY, "UNION YES!"

Ken Ehrensal
Management Department
Kutztown University (Pennsylvania)
voice: 610.683.4599