The Current Tragedies

Kate Riley kriley at together.net
Thu Sep 13 15:45:03 UTC 2001

Thank you, Richard, for the chance to broach 'this' both personally and
intellectually.  And thanks to Paul and Kerim for their intelligent

I was standing in front of my undergraduate intro to lang, culture, and
society class last night (U of Vermont), trying to think how to help channel
the shock, anger, sadness, and helplessness.  I felt a sense of heavy
responsibility  and a great vulnerability.  I'm one of  the 6% (is it?) in
the US who would not presently condone a military response and increased
military spending -- an attempt to seal the metonymic container and reify
"our" significance as the all-powerful leader of "liberty" -- despite my
very, very heavy heart.

We were scheduled to discuss the formal properties of language...  I
scuttled it and went to the notion that talk IS action  -- that it can
create cultural ideologies of destruction (via iconic/indexical/symbolic
semiosis, news "reporting", religious socialization, and political oratory),
but that it can also mediate cross-cultural understanding (via the
intersubjective experience of polyvocal and heteroglossic dialogue).  But
mostly I let these forty 20-year-olds talk about how they had used language
(and silence) to process the events.  This talk helped me process too, but
not enough.

I am still puzzling about my own sense of metonymic violation (do I actually
have patriotic sentiments? or is it closer to 'home', my identification with
the city, its skyline and people?).  How does one both deal with that and
keep an eye on all the larger frames?  I understand that this sense of
paradox must be beyond familiar to anyone committed to non-violent
resistance who lives in Iraq, Palestine, Belfast, etc.  But, of course, it's
all new to most Americans, of which I am, at least by indexical
idenitification, a token.

My metaphor of the moment is that this may be one of those moments when the
fabric of American social life begins to unravel, as it did for the Aztecs
when the Conquistadors landed (or when the Germanic "barbarians" overran
Roman "civilization").  But rather than polarizing these events via imagery
of chaos and darkness overtaking order and light, I hope to use the fraying
tatters to weave connections to others both without and within the US who
share the desire to embrace peace instead of violence.

Kate Riley