Response to Paul Chilton’s “Notes”

Kerim Friedman kerim.list at oxus.net
Fri Sep 14 13:44:28 UTC 2001

I found Ron Kuzar's discussion of Chilton to be quite interesting, but I cannot agree with the conclusion.

>Conclusion: by using an anti-intellectual framework which only critiques
>the power elites but chooses to side with the victims, no matter what
>they think or do, Chilton’s text in fact supplies an academic umbrella,
>under which these acts can go on uncriticized. This is defective
>political practice that leaves out important contributors to the debate,
>and therefore is not likely to be socially transformative.

In discussing discourse, it is important to situate it contextually. If one lives in America right now (or New York as I do) there is nothing allowed except for outraged sympathy for the victims. My friends and I must speak in hushed whispers when we discuss the matter because we have a slightly critical perspective. An environment has been created in which only one (dominant) form of discourse is socially acceptable. In such an environment I don't think Chilton or Chomsky can possibly be creating an "academic umbrella, under which these acts can go uncriticized." They are not powerful enough to topple this dominant discourse. Instead, they are creating a social space in which alternative discourses - ones that allow for criticism of the government - can take place (if only on the Internet).  Everyone here is literally waving American flags. How can one talk about peace in such an environment? One idea comes from a colleague in South Africa. They are all wearing white ribbon!
s - to simultaneously memorialize the victims and express their desire for peace. It made me wonder if such symbolism might not work in America - allowing people to express their horror and outrage at the same time as refraining from showing support for the military-industrial complex. Because, as we have already seen on this list - anything critical can be portrayed as heartless and cruel unless you simultaneously (and publicly) express your outrage.

kerim

Links to Alternative News Coverage of the Twin Towers Tragedy:

                 http://kerim.oxus.net/engurls.php?selectcat=30

P. KERIM FRIEDMAN
			Anthropology, Temple University
			<mailto:kerim.friedman at oxus.net>