Aid agencies warn of Afghan crisis

Kerim Friedman kerim.list at oxus.net
Sat Sep 15 16:20:03 UTC 2001

*********
Friday, 14 September, 2001, 17:29 GMT 18:29 UK
Aid agencies warn of Afghan crisis

Population 'held to ransom'

Dominic Nutt is another Christian Aid worker who has just returned from Afghanistan. He told BBC Radio Four's Today programme the situation was desperate.

"According to the UN, a quarter of the population - 5.5 million people - are going to be reliant on food aid to stay alive by November.

"This threat of military action is holding a quarter of the population to ransom.

"There's no food coming in, or very little. Farmers have found that their crops are down by 90% - and that's for three years, not just this year."

Mr Nutt urged President Bush not to add to the toll of innocent victims.

"Thousands of innocent people have already died in New York and Washington. We'll be looking at thousands, hundreds of thousands, even millions of deaths if we don't take action now.

"I just pray that I'm not the one sent back in spring after the winter snow's have thawed and have to walk through the ghost villages and possibly see piles of corpses in the villages in the mountains."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1544000/1544413.stm

*********
Also see:
Why I Cannot Hold a Candle
Elijah Wald, AlterNet
September 14, 2001
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=11506

*********
and:
The Cost of an Afghan 'Victory'
by DILIP HIRO
>From the February 15, 1999 issue of The Nation.
http://www.thenation.com/docPrint.mhtml?i=archive&s=hiro_wtc_19990215

*********

Links to Alternative News Coverage of the Twin Towers Tragedy:

                 http://kerim.oxus.net/engurls.php?selectcat=30

P. KERIM FRIEDMAN
			Anthropology, Temple University
			<mailto:kerim.friedman at oxus.net>