FW: Proposed CAE sessions for 2002 annual meeting

gabriella Modan modan.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 25 18:50:35 UTC 2002

I think John's idea of promoting open calls for AAA sessions is a great one
that we all could benefit from.  Organizing panels through
already-established networks has its advantages, and there's certainly a
place for it.  But having open calls for panel papers is a way to both be
more inclusive, and to have a wider range of topics in panels.  There are
both intellectual and practical/networking advantages to to open
calls.  Having organized panels both ways, I've found that having open
calls has enabled me to put together panels with papers that connect with
each other in interesting ways, and ways that I might not have thought
about sitting in my office and using the introspective approach (i.e., what
work do I already know of that's relevant to this topic?)  Organizing
panels openly is also really beneficial for stimulating new working
relationships among scholars who may not have known each other, or known of
each others' work, before.  I think SLA as a body of scholars could really
benefit from this approach.

Galey Modan