FW: Proposed CAE sessions for 2002 annual meeting

Clark, John jtclark at csuchico.edu
Fri Jan 25 19:59:41 UTC 2002

Yes, I was referring to the *organization* rather than the *selection* of
sessions. Face-to-face, who-you-know networks will almost always be the
first and foremost way that sessions get off the ground; I do not bemoan
that. Yet, I have admired CAE's effort to "open things up,"  and to
officially post prospective sessions WHILE THE SESSIONS ARE STILL IN THE
PROCESS OF BEING ORGANIZED. CAE's effort was in response to heated and
painful discussions about how *white* the panels were. As anthropologists
(orinthologists?), we all know that however comfortable and positively
intimate face-to-face networks are, they are notoriously conservative and
flock together birds of very similar feathers

John T. Clark