sessions for 2002 annual meeting

Barbara Lemaster lemaster at csulb.edu
Sat Jan 26 18:56:00 UTC 2002

I agree with Laura Miller.

Barbara LeMaster
(former SLA Program Chair)

"Laura Miller" <lmille2 at wpo.it.luc.edu> wrote:
>Another point of information and a few comments:

>Even if an SLA member has not been able to link up with an organized
session, they may always submit individual paper abstracts for
consideration. The majority of individually submitted abstracts reviewed by
SLA are placed on the program as part of created SLA panels.

>The idea of organizing panels openly has already been practiced to some
extent on this list, as well as through the SLA and "Cooperation" columns
in AAA News, and many excellent sessions have been the result. A few
individuals have also posted notices to this list asking if they fit on any
panels being organized, and thereby got into the mix that way.	I believe
that with our current practices, SLA is already doing a great job of
offering a diverse and intellectually stimulating program that allows all
our members opportunities for participation.

>I have a recommendation, however. A good place to find out about possible
panels or to organize panels is at the AAA meeting, well before impending
submission deadlines.

>Dear AAA-SLA (Society of Linguistic Anthropology) folks,

>I wanted to forward the following from AAA's Council on the Anthropology
of

>Education section just to show how another section handles its affairs in

>regard to organizing AAA sessions. Everyone on the CAE list is "in the

>loop." It is a relatively transparent, and therefore more democratic way

>go about organizing sessions. This stands in contrast to SLA's manner of

>organizing sessions, which  relies heavily on face-to-face,  who-you-know

>networks. Could we not also promote this kind of session planning whereby

>session organizers are encouraged to "tel everyone" (on linganth, for

>example) what they're up to a la CAE? I know that some SLA organizers

>already do this, and I applaud them. What do you think?

>John T. Clark

>SLA, CAE

>> ----------

If

>> you are interested in participating in a particular session, please

>> contact the organizer directly ASAP .  (Organizers, please verify that

>> your contact information is listed correctly).   Note: these sessions
will

>> be submitted for internal review by CAE by Mar. 1.  If you wish to

>> participate, be sure to contact the organizer well before that date.

>> It is not necessary to be a member of a particular committee to

>> participate in a session organized by that committee.  Likewise, if none

>> of the sessions listed below speaks to your interests, it is not too
late

>> to propose one of your own.	 Individually submitted papers will either
be

>> included in an existing session,  or grouped together to form a new

>> session.

>> The deadline for CAE's internal review process is March 1.  Proposals
for

>> sessions or papers to be reviewed by CAE should be in to Bryan Brayboy
by

>> March 1 (Braybo_B at ed.utah.edu). However, if you miss that deadline, you

>> may still submit your paper or session through the AAA's general review

>> process.  You should indicate CAE as the reviewing section.	The
deadline

>> for general submission to AAA  is March 31.

>> For further information or guidance on the submission process, consult
the

>> CAE Web site or contact Member At Large Bryan Brayboy

>> (Braybo_B at ed.utah.edu).

>> The information below will also appear on the CAE Web site.

>> Best wishes as you prepare your submissions,

>> Lisa Rosen

>> CAE Contributing Editor, Anthropology News

>> ----------------------

>> Independently submitted

>> 1. "What Would the Anthropology of Education Look Like if it Took Laura

>> Nader Seriously?" Ted Hamann, tel: 401/274-9548 x314 or 800/ 521-9550

>> x314; fax: 401/ 421-7650; Edmund_Hamann at BROWN.EDU.

>> Committee 1: Anthropological Studies of Schools and Culture

>> 1. "Using Culture Theory to Do School Reform," John Watkins, tel:

>> 415/824-6196 x117; jwatkins at partnersinschools.org.

>> Educational ethnographers have long been urged (or have at least urged

>> each other) to "speak truth to power," as in translating cultural
studies

>> of education and educational settings into language that can influence

>> policy makers. Uniquely positioned to understand the cultures of

>> classrooms, school systems, communities, policy environments, and
(through

>> access to more recent definitions of culture as dynamic, conflicted,

>> contingent, and negotiated) the complex interplay of these in
educational

>> settings, this kind of work could, and sometimes does, make a
significant

>> contribution. However, this use of culture studies still represents a

>> fairly traditional view of the role of ethnography in education. We

>> envision a more direct and active role. Anthropology beyond education
has

>> access to a long tradition of action anthropology. Organizational change

>> has action research (Whyte). Education has teacher research, and,

>> increasingly, a version of action research at the school and district

>> levels. In the late eighties, Gary Anderson charted a genealogy of what
he

>> referred to as "critical ethnography," whose aim was to bring to bear
the

>> methods of ethnography toward a critical inquiry into the situation in

>> various settings toward their improvement. Ken Sirotnik and Jeannie
Oakes

>> developed a similar approach in schools, that they called critical

>> inquiry, but it lacked a fully ethnographic method. We propose a session

>> that examines contemporary ethnographic work in schools and other

>> educational settings that buils on this tradition of using the study of

>> culture directly in the service of change in those settings, thus, we
ask,

>> "What does it look like when the study of the culture(s) of educational

>> change in particular settings is directly and deliberately designed to

>> contribute to change in those settings?" Our panelists will present work

>> in a variety of settings where such deliberate use of culture study to

>> effect change is ongoing. We will attempt to synthesize across the
studies

>> some general principles of such work.

>> 2. "The Jokes on Who?: Humor as Interactional Accomplishment in

>> Educational Contexts."  James Mullooly, Beloit College, Department of

>> Education, 700 College Street, Beloit, WI 53511. tel: 608/363-2340; fax:

>> 608/363-2194; mullooly at beloit.edu.

>> From the role of the "class clown", to effective use jokes as

>> instructional aids, to the ridicule students and teachers exchange
through

>> witticism, humor's myriad uses in the contexts of educational process

>> (broadly conceived) shall be addressed by participants of this session.

>> 3. "The Hidden Curriculum of Policy: What Students Learn From What
Schools

>> Do."  Patricia Ehrensal, CRHDE/Educational Leadership and Policy
Studies,

>> College of Education, Temple University, 621 Spruce Street, Pottstown,
PA

>> 19464. tel:

>> 610/970-1464; ehrensal at temple.edu.

>> Committee 2: Language, Literacy and Cognition.

>> 1. "Popular Culture, Race and Literacy."   Lesley Bartlett, Department
of

>> International and Transcultural Relations, Teachers College-Columbia

>> University; bartlett at exchange.tc.columbia.edu, bartlett at email.unc.edu
and

>> Dawn-Elissa Fischer Banks, 3218 NW 21st Street, Gainesville, FL32605;
tel:

>> 352/392-2253, ext. 224; fax: 352/392-6929; edutainment4life at yahoo.com.

>> 2. "Developing Selves as Contexts For Learning" Stanton Wortham, 3700

>> Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104; tel:	215/898-6307; fax:

>> 215/898-4399; stantonw at gse.upenn.edu.

>> Committee 3: Postsecondary Education

>> 1. "Governmentality and the Management of Knowledge: Certification, IRBs

>> and Intellectual Property."	Wes Shumar wes at drexel.edu  and Jonathan

>> Church church at arcadia.edu

>> 2. "Changing Educational Subjects: Reconfiguring Racialized Identities
in

kenj at anthro.umass.edu.

>> In the context of discussing the results from a project, participants in

>> this panel will ethnographically and reflexively relate instances of

>> potential impediments to the quality of the evaluative results of their

>> projects. They will also discuss how, methodologically, they attempted

>> overcome these impediments.

>> 3. "Ethnography takes on High Stakes Tesing." Karen Bell, SYRCE,

>> Department of C&I, U. of Texas at Austin, 1912 Speedway, SZB518, Austin,

>> TX, 78712-1294. tel: 512/232-3959; fax 512/471-8857;

>> kebell at mail.utexas.edu.

>> In this proposed special event panel discussion. ethnographers take a
look

>> at the persuasiveness of high-stakes testing and the impact of such

>> testing on teaching and learning.

>> Committee 5: Transnational Issues in Education and Change

>> 1.  (With Committee 2) "Transnational Perspectives on Colonial and

>> Dominant Languages: Legacies in Education." Bob Herbert, College of

>> Liberal Arts, Stephen F Austin State U, PO Box 3033, Nacogdoches, TX

>> 75962-3033. tel: 936/468-2803; fax: 936/468-2190; rherbert at sfasu.edu

>> Presentations on developed or developing national settings are invited.

>> Topics to be addressed could include field research on: purity and
hybrids

>> in language forms, policy vs practice issues, language forms in the

>> classroom, mother tongue issues, multi-centered languages, standards,

>> language and education relationship. The scope of the session is

>> intentionally broad, but all papers should be field-based.

>> 2.  (With Committee 2) "Visual Images of Schooling and Research:

>> Transnational Perspectives." Elsa L. Statzner (National-Louis). tel:

>> 847-733-7248; elsast at ameritech.net

>> This yearly "special event" is an informal discussion based on visuals

>> (transparencies, videos, or ...) on schooling and field work. It can

>> include US new immigrants/refugees or educational perspectives from

>> anyplace in the globe. No abstracts required.

>> Committee 6:  Multicultural and Multilingual Education

>> 1.  "This Never Happened Before!  What Do We Do Now?" Elias L. Martinez,

>> SUNY Binghamton, School of Education, Human Development, PO Box 6000,

>> Binghamton, NY 13902.  tel: 607/777-2478; martinez at binghamton.edu

>> This session focuses on the post 9-11 reflections from the field in the

>> aftermath of the World Trade Center disaster.  Paprs especially focusing

>> on the effects on students, teachers, administrators, and families are

>> invited.

>> 2. "Multicultural Research Methodologies:  How a Change of Perspective

>> Impacts Outcomes in Educational Ethnography." Yuri Wellington, 3241 East

>> Terra Alta Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85716.	tel. 520/881-1556 (h), 520/621-1311

>> (w); ywelling at u.arizona.edu.

>> One of the by-products of the current standards-based education movement

>> has been the classification of large numbers of students as "at risk" or

>> "learning disabled."  A disproportionately large number of students so

>> identified have been of ethnic, cultural, linguistic, and socioeconomic

>> communities other than that defined by the "dominant" paradigm.

>> Ethnographers of education have examined how the use of traditional

>> theoretical frameworks and research methodologies contributes to the

>> construction and perpetuation of this label of "at risk" and "learning

>> disabled."  Built on the work of MacClaurin and others who explore the

>> emerging new paradigms in Black Feminist Anthropology, this session will

>> examine theory, praxis and politics reflected in multicultural research
in

>> education from a variety of perspectives.

>> 3. "Bilingual and Multilingual Educational Policy and Its Impact on

>> Identity Construction of Linguistic Minorities in the Global Context."

>> Heewon Chang, Eastern University, Education Department, 1300 Eagle Road,

>> St. Davids, PA 19087.  tel: 610/341-1597; fax: 610/341-4393;

>> hchang at eastern.edu.

>> Linguistic diversity often goes hand in hand with ethnic diversity in a

>> society.  Multilingualism and bilingualism are increasingly common

>> phenomena in the world where different language speakers migrate

>> frequently and easily as globalization intensifies.	In response to

>> linguistic diversity different countries impose a variety of language

>> policies on linguistic minorities, which in turn affirm or confuse their

>> identification with the culture and langage of origin.  The session

>> invites papers describing and analyzing a national or regional

>> bilingual/multilingual educational policy and its impact on the identity

>> construction of linguistic minorities.

>> 4. "Developing Intercultural Education Policies in Global Contexts"
(with

>> Committee 8).  Martha Montero-Sieburth, University of

>> Massachusetts-Boston, Graduate School of Education, 100 Morrissey Blvd.,

>> Boston, MA 02625-3393. tel: 617/287-7765 (w); 617-232-3485 (h);

>> Martha.montero at umb.edu and Magaly Lavadenz, Loyola Marymount University,

>> School of Education, 1 LMU Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90045. tel:
562/799-5425

>> (w); 818/242-4285 (h); mlavaden at lum.edu.

>> Educational systems are being challenged by shifts in diversity brought

>> about by diaspora, immigration and displacement.  This session focuses
on

>> the ways in which diversity is being incorporated in educational
policies

>> and practices.  Through ethnographers, narratives, and oral histories

>> contemporary anthropological approaches used in the development of

>> intercultural education will be presented in global, national,
indigenous,

>> and non-indigenous contexts.

>> 5. "The Social Constructions and Lived Experiences of Race: Voices from

>> Schools and Communities" (with the Association of Black
Anthropologists).

>> Holly Maluk, 2121 Acklen Ave. Apt. 11, Nashville. TN 37212.	tel:

>> 615/269-5710; hmaluk at hotmail.com.

>> This session will examine how the structuring of classrooms, schools,

>> school districts, academia, and communities upholds racism and racial

>> inequality around the globe.  Most importantly, the session aims to

>> demonstrate the effects of such structures on people's lives.  The

>> theoretical focus of this session will be the tension between human
agency

>> and social structures in respectively resisting and maintaining racism
as

>> a system of advantage based on race.  Within this theoretical
foundation,

>> the session will focus on people's experiences and perspectives regading

>> race and racism by sharing stories, quotes, and experiences gathered
from

>> research participants.  Multimedia presentations are encouraged:

>> complement your presentation with music clip, slide, video clip, or
spoken

>> word.

>> Committee 9: Gender in Schools and Society.

>> 1. "Engendering Identities:	Learning to Perform Masculinity and

>> Feminity." Jamie B. Lewis, 630 Aderhold Hall, College of Education, The

>> University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602.  tel:  706/583-8182; fax:

>> 706/743-0888; jlewis at coe.uga.edu.

>> This session examines how masculinity and femininity are constructed and

>> performed across diverse social and cultural contexts. Along with the

>> social construction of gender, the session addresses how individuals
learn

>> to perform gender identities. The session looks at the ways in which the

>> intersections of race, class and sexual orientation complicate the

>> embodied performances of masculinity and femininity.

>> 2.  (With Committee 12) "Learning Identity: Participating in a Community

>> of Practice."  Maureen Porter and Kathleen Carlin-Kilbourne.  Contact

>> Maureen Porter at: 5m30 WW Posvar Hall, University of Pittsburgh,

>> Pittsburgh, PA 15260.  tel: 412/648-7041; fax: 412/648-1784;

>> mporter at pitt.edu.

>> 3. "Multiple Feminisms, Multiple Pedagogies: Reimagining Social Activism

>> in the Classroom." Katherine Schultz, 3700 Walnut St., Philadelphia, PA

>> 19104. tel: 215/573-2990; fax: 215/898-4399; kathys at gse.upenn.edu.

>> This panel will examine the multiple constructions of feminism and how

>> those conceptual and practical frameworks shape the pedagogies enacted
in

>> educational contexts. We will look closely at the interplay between

>> feminisms and pedagogies, and investigate the complex ways in which

>> educators both claim and resist contemporary and historic frameworks of

>> gender politics and social activism.

>> 4. "The Geographic and Spatial organization of race and gender: Mapping

>> the contested terrains of outh's worlds."  Ingrid Seyer, Stanford

>> University School of Education, 485 Lasuen Mall, Stanford University,

>> Stanford, CA 94305-3096.  tel:  650-723-4984 (W) 510-251-1913 (H); fax

>> 650-725-7412; iseyer at stanford.edu.

>> The papers in this session will address the spatial organization of race

>> and gender across and among diverse landscapes. Studies addressing the

>> historical and structural foundations of spatially enforced inequalities

>> are encouraged, as are those focusing on youth's appropriation and

>> contestation of space towards expressive and/or liberatory ends.

>> Committee 10: Culture, Ecology and Education

>> 1. "Visual Manifestations of Knowledge: From Indigenous Art to the

>> Internet." Nimachia Hernandez, Department of Ethnic Studies, Native

>> American Studies Division, 506 Barrows Hall, UC-Berkeley, Berkeley, CA

>> 94720. tel: 510/642-0775; fax:

>> 510/642-6456; nimachia at uclink.berkeley.ed

>> Cultural analysis in both anthropology and education has been dominated
by

>> textual frameworks. Visual frameworks also suffer from reduction to
icons

>> or symbols. By focusing on visualizations as situated manifestations of

>> knowledge we offer alternatives to textual reduction.

>> 2. "Using Multimedia and Technology Spaces to Investigate Diverse

>> Identities." Leslie Edwards, University of Colorado-Boulder 249,
Boulder,

>> CO 80309. tel:  303/466-8827; fax: 303/492-7090; puffin at earthlink.net.

>> This session looks at the relationship between specific ecosystems,

>> geographical features and physical dimensions of "space" to examine

>> cultural sustainability and diverse transformations.

>> 3.  Two more topics of interest have yet to be worked out specifically:

>> "Indigenous Languages and Ecological Education."

>> "Tensions between the Global and the Local in Culture, Ecology, and

>> Education. "

>> Anyone interested in the preceding topics could contact Ray Barnhardt at

>> <ffrjb at aurora.alaska.edu>

>> Committee 11: Applied Wok for Educational Futures.

>> 1.  "Why Study Identity in Education? Current Trends and Implications in

>> Educational Research." Karen Stocker, Department of Anthropology,

>> University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131; tel: 505/884-5457, fax

>> 505/ 277-0874; kstocker at unm.edu.

>> This panel addresses the study of identity formation and oppression in

>> educational settings. The panel will deal with the reasons behind such

>> scholarship, its implications, and its possible contributions to

>> educational research. Particularly salient aspects of identity include

>> race, ethnicity, gender, and the power dynamics of privilege and

>> discrimination in educational settings.

>> 2.  "Applied Methodologies for Transformative Education." Mariela

>> Nunez-Janes, Department of Anthropology, University of New Mexico,

>> Albuquerque, NM 87131; tel: 505/889-4077, fax  505/ 277-0874;

>> mariela at unm.edu.

>> This panel centers around applied projects in anthropology and
education.

>> The goal behind these action-oriented approaches is to effect change in

>> education to the benefit of students. It will address strategies at both

>> the micro and macro levels.

>> 3.  "Clashing Cultures in the Face of American Individualism." Karen

>> Stocker, Department of Anthropology, University of New Mexico,

>> Albuquerque, NM 87131; tel: 505/884-5457, fax  505/ 277-0874;

>> kstocker at unm.edu.

>> This panel addresses constructions of the self in the context of
hegemonic

>> individualism. At the same time, it will deal with conceptualizations of

>> self that differ from dominant U.S. ideology. Also key to the
exploration

>> of this scenario is the concept of increased globalization.

>> 4.  "Virtual Learning Communities: Pedagogy, Possibilities, and
Problems."

>> Mariela Nunez-Janes, Department of Anthropology, University of New
Mexico,

>> Albuquerque, NM 87131.  tel: 505/889-4077; fax  505/ 277-0874;

>> mariela at unm.edu.

>> In a boom of on-line learning and other classroom technologies, i is

>> important to examine the pedagogy, possibilities, and problems in
virtual

>> learning communities. This panel will explore their potential and
possible

>> drawbacks for the future of educational practices.

>> Committee # 12:Committee for the Study of Culture
Acquisition/Transmission

>> 1. "Appropriation or Misappropriation of Culture: When  Individuals
and/or

>> Groups Seek Competencies in a Culture That is Not Their Native Culture."

>> Letty Lincoln, 15250 NE Sandy Blvd., Portland, OR 97230.  tel:

>> 503/261-0489 (h), 502/241-8700 (w); fax: 503/243-4430;

>> lincoln at hotmail.com, or lettylincoln at yahoo.com.

>> This session investigates people's attempts to acquire the culture of
the

>> other, including their process and the results of the attempt.

>> 2. "Learning Identity through Embodied Experience."	Kimberly Powell,
1429