Windtalkers

P. Kerim Friedman kerim.list at oxus.net
Mon Jun 17 15:55:08 UTC 2002

Hal,

I think it is important to note that this is a John Woo film - famous for
the most beautifully violent Hong Kong films, and that from everything I
read it is really a continuation of themes he developed in earlier film,
rather than really being about WWII or Windtalkers. I haven't seen the film,
but I agree with you that these people deserve more than second billing and
there should be another film made to rectify the situation.

I highly recommend watching the following show on the History Channel:

History vs. Hollywood
Windtalkers

Monday , June 17 11:00 PM-12:00 AM (check listings)

History Channel historians Steve Gillon and Geoffrey Wawro join host Josh
Binswanger for a look at the WWII blockbuster movie "Windtalkers". Featuring
interviews with director John Woo and Nicolas Cage, our panel discusses
Hollywood's portrayal of Navajo code talkers during WWII. The code talkers
used their native language as a basis for a secret code used by Americans
during battle. Surviving code talkers share their experiences and address
how accurately the film portrays the real history. TV PG

I've not seen this, but I've seen other shows in the series and it is very
well made - actually one of the best history TV series I've ever seen, often
very critical. I think the fact that they focus on the "true stories" of war
veterans allows them to say critical things that otherwise would never fly
in TV land.

Also, there was this article in the NY Times about the "true" story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/15/movies/15CODE.html

kerim

--
P. Kerim Friedman