Windtalkers

Laura Miller lmille2 at wpo.it.luc.edu
Tue Jun 18 13:06:41 UTC 2002

Hi Emily,
There are many good web sites with historical information on the
Codetalkers. I have the information at school and can send it later.
I watched the special on the history channel last night, and neither of
the two historian-critics, when discussing the controversy over whether
or not body guards were assigned to each Codetalker, mentioned the
reason I remember reading釦he bodyguards weren't there to kill the
Codetalker in case of capture, but to prevent other Americans, who
thought they were Japanese, from killing them. The special also said
that this was the first time a Native American language was used as a
code, but in fact a similar experiment was attempted in WWI, with a
different language, but without success.
Laura
PS  One of my students saidshe saw a GI Joe Codetalker doll

>>> Emily McEwan-Fujita <e-mcewan at uchicago.edu> 06/17/02 22:32 PM >>>
Does anyone know of a good history (or ethnography) of the Windtalkers,
either in article or in book form? Or if such a study or account does
not
exist, is anyone currently working on one or planning to do one?

On June 12 on NPR's Fresh Air, Terry Gross interviewed one of the
original
windtalkers. The interview can be found at:
http://freshair.npr.org/guestInfoFA.cfm?name=2002/royhawthorne
(If this link doesn't work, then just search the Fresh Air site for the
name "Roy Hawthorne".)

And if anyone is interested, one of my relatives told me that the Burger

King in Kayenta, Arizona (Navajo County), has a museum-like display of
photos and descriptions of the Windtalkers.

Thanks,

Emily McEwan-Fujita