internet use by language

Mark Allen Peterson peterson at aucegypt.edu
Sun Mar 3 09:06:18 UTC 2002

The problem is that this merely compiles country data.  It doesn't really
tell us in what language these people use the internet.  First language
Arabic speakers may make up 4 percent of the world's on-line community, but
are they accessing it in Arabic or in a second language?  My experience
suggests that not a lot of Arabic is being used, although it is growing. (I
mean, MSN Middle East went on-line in English, not Arabic)

Mark

Dr. Mark Allen Peterson
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
American University in Cairo
113 Kasr el Aini
Cairo 11511 EGYPT
peterson at aucegypt.edu

Media, Culture and Society in the Islamic World
http://www.aucegypt.edu/schools/huss/anth400