Important

Richard J Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Fri Mar 15 05:51:04 UTC 2002

Linganth Subscribers:

VIRUS ALERT! Someone sent a virus to the linganth list as an attachment
file, and it managed to get through and distributed to many of you. I've
received a slew of responses from several servers that caught the virus on
arrival. Attached below is one such message.

SO: If you got a message from myamaguchi at sprynet.com or
linganth at cc.rochester.edu with the subject header "Important" dated 14
March, DELETE it immediately. If you've open the attachment already, you
need to respond to the virus attack by running a current virus checker on
your system (see your sysadmin if you need help with this). This appears to
be more of an issue for Windows machines, but Macs might serve as vectors,
so all recipients should delete the message.

I'm going to block attachment files from the list, allowing text-only
messages for now. Seems safer this way, alas.

-Richard
linganth list adminstrator