primate communication? 'Discourse'

Bryllars at concentric.net Bryllars at concentric.net
Thu Nov 7 14:17:10 UTC 2002

 >Is it habitual among primatologists and students of primate communication
to refer to this
 >(communication) as "discourse"?

This seems an interesting question and point.

"Discourse analysis" seems to have emerged from 'descriptive' linguistics
somehow seeming more concrete and "objective" than
working with conversation, and more tied to a text.

Others in other traditions speak a little differently about communication
patterns.

Should we "analyze" it?

Bryllars