Discourse and gibbons

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
Wed Nov 13 14:45:22 UTC 2002

It seems to me that Celso has identified an important issue about primate
communication, and I'm reminded about Hockett's original proposal that
there are 'design features of language' (originally about 8, I think, but
expanded later to 14 or so [I'm doing this from memory, unable to look it
up].) such that some of these features are indeed possessed by bees, or
stickleback fish, or gibbons, but only human language has them all, with
'displacement' being one of the most crucial. (Displacement is the ability
to 'talk' about or refer to an event that happened in another time or in
another space/place.) So perhaps there is a similar list of features of
discourse, some (or all?) of which Celso has identified, but all of which
are only found in human 'discourse' and some of which are found in
different kinds of animal communication (discourse?)

Hal Schiffman