Discourse and gibbons, etc.

Carsten Otto c.otto at uni-bonn.de
Thu Nov 14 19:15:53 UTC 2002

Dear Harold and others,

 >The man did not speak a word; he used deceptive gestures to get her
 >attention, and got what he wanted.  Is this "discourse"?

In my opinion it is discourse, indeed. I guess you would agree that it
is conversation, it is non-verbal but the thief and the driver are
communicating, i.e he sends a message by using deceptive gestures and
she receives and decodes the message by reacting the intended way, thus
they are "interacting in a sociocultural context", which is - I guess -
one definition of discourse (Pike?!).

Just a thought of a quiet linanth-member.

Cheers

Carsten Otto

Am Donnerstag den, 14. November 2002, um 19:50, schrieb Harold F.
Schiffman: