Discourse and gibbons

Bryllars at concentric.net Bryllars at concentric.net
Fri Nov 15 13:59:58 UTC 2002

I agree with your letter -
    but I wonder how many of the features of human grammar that you note
are the result of the formalism derived from Chomsky.

In real terms the rules of that formalism (competence vs performance)
only reflect a "real" grammar if there is some kind of agreement on what is
or is not a sentence.
In many years of teaching linguistics to anthropologists I never could get
a class to agree on many of the sentences used in crucial arguments
in arguments in generative grammar.
(Postal examples for instance),

Hockett's features may or may not be too limited -
but some kind of relatively empirically based, psychologically real at some
level,
features need to be used to make the comparison.

Karl Reisman
Bryllars at concentric.net