Duranti's reader

Richard J. Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Sun Sep 8 04:28:55 UTC 2002

A question for those who're teaching lx anthro....

So, I'm using Sandro Duranti's *Linguistic Anthropology: A Reader* in my
Language, Culture, & Society class this fall. In his introduction to the
reader, Sandro spends some time discussing the subdisciplinary monikers of
Linguistic Anthropology, Anthropological Linguistics, etc. Several of my
students expressed opinions that "something's going on with all that fuss
about names," but something that's a subtext, or perhaps some "behind the
scenes" issue that's not being put up front. They're not necessarily
antagonistic, just quizzical. It's a stronger reaction to the issue than I
expected (I have primarily upper-division undergraduate majors in this
class). Anyone else getting a similar reactions?

-RJS