Textbook for applied ling?

Ronald Kephart rkephart at unf.edu
Wed Sep 25 12:36:18 UTC 2002

Hi All,

I've probably asked this before, but here goes again... In the spring
semester I'll be teaching a graduate level course titled "ESOL
Applied Linguistics." This course is geared toward the ESOL
endorsement that teachers here in Florida need on their certificates.
The problem is, there's no prerequisite, so most of the students have
not had a linguistics course before. So, the course ends up being an
intro to basic concepts in linguistics, but with a tilt in the
direction of issues faced by teachers in multilingual settings.

For the past few times around I've been using Cleary and Linn's
*Linguistics for Teachers*, but it's becoming a bit dated and also
somewhat hard to get. Everything else I've been able to look at seems
too specialized in the direction of second language teaching. I
*wish* I could find an up to date version of the old *Survey of
Applied Linguistics* by Wardhaugh and Brown, a single text that would
give students an idea of the breadth of the field. Does such a thing
exist (or do we have to write one >:-])?  Does anyone know of
anything that remotely approximates what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ron

Ronald Kephart
Associate Professor