Lx Field & Lab gear

Alexandra Jaffe ajaffe at csulb.edu
Thu Sep 26 18:49:53 UTC 2002

ARCHOS MP3 recorder, which I used this past summer for fieldwork. It costs
about $250, and can record up to 10 hours on one battery charge. The
recording is made directly to a 6MB hard disk, as an MP 3 file, which you
can then transfer with a click of a mouse to your computer (through a USB
connection). This means that for most research recording situations, you can
turn it on and never have to change a tape or disk in the middle of an event
or an interview. The recording quality is very good with the external
microphone.

A word of advice: you must buy the external microphone from Archos,
otherwise it does not work. If you use the built-in condenser mike, you also
record the hard disk access noise. Other external mikes I tried did not
work. At the time of my purchase, I had to go to the French Archos site to
locate this microphone, but I imagine Archos USA is now selling it.

The only downside to using this recorder is that you can't just press
"record" and go. You have to create a new file and type in a name for it. So
it is not good for impromptu recording. It also does not have a "pause"
function. If you stop recording, you have to go through a cumbersome process
of setting up a file (typing in a file name etc.). However, given the
recording time length, you can forego pausing and just edit files later.

Misty Jaffe